Saturday, January 21, 2012

Recovery Run

As I mentioned yesterday, my calves were really tight on my run.  They did get tighter during the day and then started to loosen up finally.  I decided to wear some of my heeled boots out to the movies yesterday so that I could lift my ankle up and give it some rest (a trick I learned last year after the Princess Half).

So this morning I decided to go out for just about 3 miles.  I ran most of it, but I also walked a lot of it.  Today wasn't meant for speed, nor distance.  It was just meant to get the blood flowing and try to relax some of my muscles, mainly my calf muscles.  Another part of my recovery was stretching.  I did some abs and arm routines after my short run, but I also spent some time stretching to make sure I really was loosening up those muscles.  As I'm sure everyone knows, stretching really is one of the most important injury preventions.

Luckily, I won't have to wait a week for my next run, just a few days instead.  In the mean time, there will be a lot of stretching and relaxing.


2 comments:

  1. I always mean to be a better stretcher, but I never am. hence the tight hammies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same problem, but then found that the holiday booty buster really helped get me into the habit of stretching. I might not stretch as much, but I do stretch more often. Plus, one of my coworkers brought in a foam roller so I've been rolling during my breaks.

    ReplyDelete