Thursday, January 12, 2012

Balancing Work and Working Out

I don't know about you guys, but work is tiring.  I have a job that's very active and by the time I get off, I'm usually ready to collapse, eat, and then go to bed.  Yet I still have to figure out a time to workout.

I have been doing 15-30 minute workouts consisting of different hand weight exercises and calisthenics.  I usually give myself about 30 minutes to get home and decompress before convincing myself to get off the couch or bed and start working out (usually the hardest part).  I've been pretty good about doing something each night, although it's been really, really hard.

The one thing I figured out in the last few months is that I have to take advantage of my weekends.  That's when I'm able to get my long runs in because I don't have to worry about being late to work or being sore then.  I also usually able to get my brick workouts in then as well.  Plus, when I do all of my hard workouts on the weekend, then I have plenty of time to recover and rest in the afternoon.  For me, that usually means a good breakfast or brunch after I clean up and a nap at some point in the afternoon.

So pretty much, I've learned that to balance my professional and athletic aspects of life, I work on strength and maintenance during the week and then get the hard and long workouts in on the weekends...

No comments:

Post a Comment