Sunday, January 8, 2012

Detours for the Drivers

When we're running a race we often see the cones, policeman, and detour signs that have been set up so we can take the road and not have to worry about cars. Well this morning I got to be the car and it was a bit of a nightmare.

As many of you know the Walt Disney World Marathon is currently running (as in I saw the pack on my drive into work). Well that means a lot of roads on property are shut down.

This morning I learned which ones were shut down and which roads were still opens. Property was crawling with policeman, yellow cones, and volunteers. I missed a few exits because of flashing lights, although they exits were still open, and ended up driving off property and coming on again. I did make it all the way to animal kingdom park and lodge, however I needed to be on the opposite side of property.

My second attempt yielded exits that were actually closed this time, but I made the right turn eventually, got onto one of the main streets that only had 1 lane closures on pieces of it. There was more traffic right were I needed to park but that was because that was where the race was at the same time!

I've always known triathlons and running events caused a lot of traffic closures and delays, but I have a new found appreciation for the drivers who do actually have to get somewhere... It's still not worth drivers yelling profanities or throwing objects at the runners (has happened to me during triathlons) but instead if a driver gives themselves extra time, it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck to all of those running right now (2 of my good friends are and who knows how many of you!) looks like it should be a great day for a race! Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment