Friday, June 3, 2011

A New Idea

So maybe I didn't think about what I wanted to write about all the way through... I had an idea and I went with it... and now it's changing.  I realized yesterday during my run that while I did think a lot and relived some of the memories I shared, I really don't have that many thought provoking ideas running through my head.  I'm more focused on how I'm feeling (usually debating how much pain I'm compared to the last time I ran), what I'm going to eat after I shower, what song is on or about to come on, and of course: how much farther do I have?

I have decided to change the focus... this is going to be my training/fitness blog now.  I'm not going to be advocating workout routines or anything like that, but just sharing what I'm doing.  I'm hoping that by sharing my training with everyone that I will be held slightly more responsibly to do the workout.

Since I quit swimming and don't have to be practicing close to 24 hours a week, my training has been slacking.  I kept going pretty well for a year with triathlon training, but after that I just kept coming up with excuses.  It's time to end the excuses.

My plan?
- Run 2-3 times a week (maybe a 4th if I'm feeling exceptionally good)
- Walk the mornings I'm not running
- If I don't get a walk or run in, at least a 20 minute workout whether it's calisthenics, hand weights, etc...
- I want to eventually do 1 damn pull up! And of course after I can do 1, I want to do 2, then 3... you get the point...

So, this morning?

I walked with my dog for about 30 minutes.  There was a house fire yesterday in my neighborhood and I decided to go see what the damage was without all the firetrucks and spectators in the way.  It didn't look too bad, just one side of the house was burned pretty bad.  Luckily, the residents were able to remain in the house since the fire was only in one side.

After our walk (and feeding the horses and dog), I did a few reverse pull ups (jump up, hold, then slowly let myself down- takes about 8 seconds) and then did a hand weight arm routine I've been doing for a little while.

I started doing the reverse pull ups when I started moving back home, which happened to be where my pull up bar was.  Today I actually saw a difference!  Before I was able to do 1, but the second one hurt... a lot.  Today, I was able to do 5!  And the first three I held for 8 seconds instead of 5!

Now, lets just wait and see if those reverse pull ups made me sore?  How many will I be able to do tomorrow?  Don't know, but I'm excited to find out now...

No comments:

Post a Comment