Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Sprinting

I have always been an endurance athlete.  When I swam, my best events were my longer events (I managed to annoy my coaches quite often by getting best times in sprint events during a distance race), open water swimming is ALL distance, triathlon is a test in endurance, and half marathons and marathons or no sprints either.  In fact... I'm pretty much anti-sprint.


Yet, sprinting is still an integral part of training.  Without some speed work, it's going to take quite a bit longer to increase your speed.  Now, I've always known this, but I've never wanted to admit that.  I like my distance training and I tend to avoid what sprinting I can.

This week has been different though.  I'm in one of my low points with training, but I've been pushing myself to get out there.  A few days ago I was feeling good and decided to see how fact I could go.  I didn't go too far, but I went fast.  In fact, I dropped down to a 7:37 min pace and the rest of my run averaged close to 9 minute miles.  Yes, I did walk a bit more, but I was focused on speed, not distance.

I'm still wrapping my mind around the fact I did sprint workouts willingly.  Most of my former teammates can tell you how I vehemently hated sprinting and avoided it at almost all costs (of course a coach yelling at you gets you to sprint...).  Still, I've come to a realization that I do need to work on sprinting to help my speed.  Who knows, maybe I'll drop into 8-something minute miles before Wine and Dine Half???


No comments:

Post a Comment