Sunday, July 29, 2012

Summer Running

It seems that while I have started to acclimate to the heat I work in daily, I'm still not used to running in the heat.  It's just zapping any energy I have and making my runs harder than they really need to be.  Within the first mile I'm dripping with sweat and if I don't have my water bottle with me, then I'm probably not getting more than 3-4 miles done.


Running in Florida is just so different compared to running in California.  In California, it was cooler in the mornings so I was able to get my run in and relax before the heat of the day really set in.  In Florida, it's just hot 24/7 during the summer.  Last year I ran on a treadmill during the hotter months, which I hated probably just as much as running in the heat. This year, I don't have that option.

I'm feeling confident with my training for the Tower of Terror 10 Miler and I'm pretty sure I've got the Wine and Dine Half Marathon training and execution figured out for November... by then my training should be getting some relief from the heat (or so I hope... watch, it'll be the hottest winter ever).  And of course in January is the Walt Disney World Marathon.  Today I am 25 weeks out from running that Marathon and while that means I still have plenty of time to train, I'm still nervous about it really.... with the heat and everything, do I really have enough time???

I've been debating whether or not I should just work on my endurance and get a few long runs in here and there while the heat is still pretty bad, or if I should keep trying to push my long runs.  My decision will probably change weekly, or by run.  I just tend to run in the moment.  I won't let myself do long runs during my work week considering I have work those days, but other than that, who knows how far I'll run.

I should be back to building up my long run again this week, up to 7 miles again to be exact.  Will I actually hit it?  Who knows.  I just have to get myself out of bed and onto the road first...


No comments:

Post a Comment