Wednesday, July 11, 2012

So Many Decisions

You know, from an outside point of view, running seams to be a very inexpensive sport.  Sure you have some expensive shoes, but if all you're doing is going out and jogging a few times a week or so, there really isn't much you need.  Maybe some better head phones or a case for an iphone, ipod, or whatever you use. But then you decide to get serious...

So my journey didn't exactly start out that way, but it definitely has been getting more and more expensive.  For those of you who have attended runDisney races or probably any other race for that matter, you know the entry fees are pretty steep.  I like to think about all the things the money is going to (charitable foundations, goody bag items, race course help, etc...), but it's still quite daunting.  Then there's all the books, magazines, gels, water bottles, belts, tech shirts, etc... that you can get to increase your training.  So now I have two of those expensive decisions to make in the next few weeks, if not the next few days.

First, the Walt Disney World Marathon has partnered with Runner's World Challenge for a VIP package.  The package itself is waaaaay too expensive for me and I know I won't be getting it.  It's mostly made for people coming in for the race anyway and I'm local so I don't need everything in the package.  However, I started looking at the general Runner's World Challenge and it looks like a pretty good training package.  You can check it out at the challenge's website here.



Second, the Princess Half Marathon opened for registration yesterday.  I've done the race 2 years in a row now and this will be it's 5th anniversary.  It's going to be about a month and a half after the full marathon and it seems like that should be enough time to recover/train for Princess.  Princess has a lot of meaning for me considering it was my first half marathon in Florida, it was the first half marathon for my good friend, and it was the marathon I paired with the Disneyland Half to get my coast to coast.  So... maybe for sentimental value?  I don't know.  I really do enjoy the Princess Half Marathon which makes this decision harder and harder.



I can always try and work some extra overtime in the coming months...

No comments:

Post a Comment