Monday, July 23, 2012

Review: The Runner's Rule Book


Part of the Runner's World Challenge is that you can pick 1 of 3 books about running.  The first one was like an encyclopedia about running, the second one about a man's triumphant return to running after being seriously wounded and told he would not be able to run again, and then there was the Runner's Rule Book: Everything A Runner Needs To Know- And Then Some.

Since I am not yet able to sign up for the challenge, I started investigating the books a little more and ended up buying the Runner's Rule Book for my kindle.  It was one of the best decisions I've made in the last week or so.  I do plan on getting the second book as well, but I have a few "fun" books I need to finish first.

Now, The Runner's Rule Book starts off with the most obvious of all rules when it comes to athletics... Have Fun.  But there are just some great abstract and hilarious rules that follow.   Mark Remy's sense of humor is pretty much thinly veiled sarcasm.  While he does have some serious rules and in put, he's also poking fun at generic rules, rumors, or overly serious runner rules.  

Here are a few of my favorites:

Rule 1.25- Love Your Tan Lines

Rue 1.34- Read The Sports section Backward

Rule 1.40- Good Runners Make Good Drivers

Rule 1.52- Run Like A Dog

Rule 2.29- Pretend You're British

Rule 2.32- Do Whatever It Takes To Finish Ahead Of A Costumed Runner
               Because being outkicked by Elmo is too much to bear.

There are the joking rules mixed in with the serious and there are even a few guidelines for packing and things like that.  So if you every find some time to yourself when you're not working, cleaning, or of course running; I would suggest picking up a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment