Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Double Digits!!

I finally broke that double digit barrier for the first time since the Princess Half Marathon in February.  11 miles down, and I'm definitely thanking the Jeff Galloway plan.  This run/walk plan is helping make the training a bit more enjoyable than me trying to muscle my way through it.  This run was definitely a push, but in all honesty, it felt better than the 9 mile run.

That's not saying that everything was perfect.  I was definitely running up hill in the middle of the run, or at least it felt like that, but I got through it.  After the 8th mile, I definitely hit my stride again and the last few miles actually felt decent.  I was tired and I could tell I need to work on strengthening my quads some more, but I was able to make it.

The sunrise was really pretty though.  I started when the stars were out, the moon was shining and I finished when the sun was out and blaring.  One of these days I'll take a picture of the sunrise and sunset I see on my runs.  Part of my run goes around a lake and sunset and its reflection always takes my breath away (well that, and the huffing and puffing from running).

Determination definitely played a part in my run today.  Instead of me running straight out and back like I did on my 9 miler, I made a few loops around my house and the neighborhoods surrounding me.  This way, I didn't have to hold my water bottle for 11 miles, and I was able to get grapes and Powerade on my stops to help refuel me.  There were some doubts that I would be able to continue my run after coming into the house (Thanks Dad...), but I was definitely able to get back out.  Especially towards the end, I HAD to finish.  There was no option otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment