Sunday, October 9, 2016

Post-Hurricane Training

Hurricane Matthew was a little less impressive than expected for some of us in Central Florida.  By the afternoon, my roommate and I were definitely a bit stir crazy and ended up doing separate strength workouts.  Mine felt pretty good and I was feeling it in my shoulders and legs a little bit the next day.

Yesterday, the first day after the hurricane, you couldn't even tell a storm had gone through.  Around town there were some branches down, but nothing big.  It was like a regular storm had come through and that was it.  Life was back to normal almost instantly.  It was so completely back to normal that I ended up going into work, but I was able to work with a super nice family and it was a great, sunny day.

Today I was able to get out and let my legs really start working.  I was a bit sore and my feet weren't happy since I walked so much yesterday in some flats that aren't very supportive.  It's amazing how much every day shoes can affect your running.  I thought I would struggle to get 3 miles in, but instead I was able to push it and reach 4 miles, with a little bit of walking for a nice cool down at the end.

My strength is definitely coming back and I was able to hold a faster pace for longer when it came to the running intervals.  Walking was interesting as it was originally a struggle to get to the right pace, but by the end my walking was doing great while my running was getting tired.  I always have to remind myself to just get into the mind set of letting my body do this.  It knows what its doing and I'm just there for the journey.

Lumiere's Challenge is just less than a month away.  Still nervous, still unsure of how I am going to finish, but I am...

No comments:

Post a Comment