Sunday, April 9, 2017

The Best Laid Plans...

You know how that lovely saying goes... Ya, I was feeling good, excited for the races coming up and then life struck with a super nasty cold.  I don't think I have been this sick in a long, long time.  I had so much pressure in my head and I could tell when storms were coming because it got that much worse.  My nose was running like a faucet, I had a cough, and my energy was gone.  It was such a turn around from where I had been feelings just a few days before.

So I took the time to rest and recover (partially because I had no choice).  I got as much sleep as I could, worked probably too much, and took all the medicine I could.  Eventually I started feeling better.  A few days ago I got back out on the street and I could still feel the cold gripping my chest and lungs and the fatigue plaguing my legs.  My run ended up being mostly walking, but the fresh air was beneficial.

After another run I managed to make my way into the gym and found that spinning actually felt really good, especially considering the two runs before it felt so rough.  Since I had been on a streak with Nike+ I decided to get back out on the road tonight and I finally felt decent.  My legs were really pushing, even when I thought I needed to rest, and I got through more of a 5k without feeling too bad.  It's amazing how finally kicking the cold can help so much.


So it's less than 2 weeks now until the Star Wars 1/2 marathon weekend.  I have a few more spinning classes that I can get to, a few circuit workouts on the calendar, and of course a few more runs.  Not sure I'll get any super long runs in, but we'll see.  I do have to say I've been excited that a 5k really has become my minimum.  There would have been a time I thought 2 miles would be my minimum, but I think I might be able to make it 4 soon... who knows, maybe even 5 and then 6 closer to Dopey. 5k for sure is the minimum no matter what now a days.

No comments:

Post a Comment