Monday, September 10, 2012

First Thoughts: Garmin Forerunner 410

I recently decided to make up my mind and bought the Garmin Forerunner 410.  I've had it for the last few days and have only just started to really explore what it can/cannot do.  These are my first reactions to the 410:


Watch Size- It is a bit big for me, but then again I have some pretty bony wrists so I was already expecting it to be a bit big.

Watch Set Up- Considering I do have a technical writing background and a minor in Professional Writing for Business Communications, I found a few flaws in their instruction manual.  You usually want to put the note about charging the watch first on the first page, it was on page 5 or 7.  Other than that, both the manual and the watch set up aren't too bad.  It has a bezel that you use to change options and the watch helps you get used to that.  It does get a bit frustrating at times, but I also find it kind of fun.

Accessories- The watch comes with a heart rate monitor, charger, and a wireless USB that connects the watch to the computer (pictured above).  The charger was cool because it came with different wall plugs which I recognized for at least the US and Europe.  While I don't have any immediate plans to travel over seas quite yet (Come on runDisney... Paris race soon???), I could definitely see how helpful the different wall plugs could be.

My heart rate monitor worked well on my first run and it was fun to see how my heart rate changed throughout the run.  I know my Dad has had some issues, but who knows why his isn't working quite well.  The only thing I don't like is that so far I haven't found a way to open up the strap so it's a but of a pain to open up.

The ANT+ USB device is small and I can see how I could lose it so I'm a bit nervous about that.  I'm trying to figure out a way to make sure it's always somewhere I know it will be or some how connect it to my keys or something like that.  Otherwise, the device itself is just a USB stick, nothing super special.

Garmin Connect- So the watch uses this ANT+ software to connect the watch to the server where you can log and analyze all of you runs.  This is what caused me the most pain while setting up the watch.  It took me a few days, multiple times uploading the software and playing with the watch to finally get it to connect.  After that, it was fun looking at all my stats (Although my dad is annoyed that my altitude didn't really change... that's what he gets for still living in CA).  Hopefully it will connect a bit easier after my next run.  Technically all you have to do is walk by your computer if the ANT+ is on and it will upload the info.  Should be cool if there are no more issues.

First Run Review-  Overall, the watch was fine on my first run.  I started it, was able to keep an eye on it, and it worked out well.  The one thing I'm going to either have to figure out how to change or get used to is the pace.  Right now, the pace shows the current average, not the current real-time pace like Nike+ used to.  Again, that should really be something I need to get used to or I might be able to change.

Current Feelings- I like it and hopefully I'll end up loving it soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment